Forthcoming CoursesMon 14Mon 14 June, 2:00 pm to Thu 17 June, 2:00 pmMon 14Mon 14 June, 2:00 pm to Sun 20 June, 2:00 pm
Meet the Academic Staff
Tutor in Rural Ministry, Centre for Formation in Ministry Read more
Coordinator for the Centre for Leadership Learning Read more
Coordinator, Centre for Formation in Ministry and Director of Contextual Learning Read more
- This event has passed.
Marian Apparitions and Shrines
- Course Dates: Sat 29 February 2020, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
This one day course will cover shrines and apparitions of Mary in modern (19th and 20th century) Roman Catholicism, with a special emphasis on Europe.
The aims of the day are that you will have opportunities to:
1. Appreciate the breadth of this phenomenon, and develop knowledge about well-known and little-known cases, taking into mind social contexts.
2. Discuss the figure of Mary at the centre of the visionary claims and messages.
3. Analyse the Roman Catholic Church response to apparitions and new pilgrimages, and how this shapes the development of a cult.
4. Consider the visionary as a human subject, e.g. their creative contribution, the pressures put upon them, the ways in which they are rejected or idolized by different parties.
The course is open to people of all faiths and none, to those who already have knowledge about Marian apparition shrines, and those who do not. You do not have to agree with the views of the tutor to participate! It is recommended that, beforehand, you have a quick look at websites concerned with listing the apparitions of Mary, particularly http://www.miraclehunter.com/marian_apparitions and http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/aprtable.html (although very helpful and informative, they are popular devotional websites, so try to read them critically). Those who have time might like to access my book, Our Lady of the Nations: Apparitions of Mary in 20th Century Catholic Europe (2016, paperback 2018).