Forthcoming CoursesSat 31Sat 31 October, 10:00 am to 4:00 pmThu 19Thu 19 November, 10:00 am to 4:00 pmMon 23Mon 23 November, 2:00 pm to Thu 26 November, 2:00 pm
Meet the Academic Staff
Coordinator, Centre for Formation in Ministry and Director of Contextual Learning Read more
Academic Dean and Coordinator for the Centre for Liturgy and Worship Read more
Scholar in Residence Read more
- This event has passed.
Interrelations: Spirituality and Theology
- Course Dates: Mon 8 May 2017, 10:00 am to 4:30 pm
This conference is premised on the belonging together of spirituality and theology (or doctrine) in Christian life and thought.
‘Spirituality’ is a relatively recent name in Christianity for sensibilities and practices that are far older. Today, however, non-ecclesial spirituality is frequently lauded, just as the cultural brilliance of theology can seem dulled.
This conference will explore the historical and present-day dilemmas of distinguishing and interrelating Christian spirituality and theology.
Conference Programme Outline
The conference begins with registration from 9.30am for a 10am start. The morning will contain three plenary sessions, with papers from:
- Dr Edward Howells (Heythrop College)
- Dr Jacob Philips (St Mary’s University, Twickenham)
- Dr Barnabas Palfrey (Sarum College)
After lunch, eight short papers will run on two parallel tracks, with ample space for questions and discussion. Paper topics include:
- Forged Together in the Furnace of War: the career and contemporaries of Geoffrey Studdart Kennedy (‘Woodbine Willie’)
- The concept of ‘home’ and ‘homecoming’ in Christian spirituality
- St Francis as an extensive or limited model for contemporary Christian spirituality
- August Courtauld: the Arctic Lazarus and the deathly fear of silence
- Poetry and spirituality
- Relating the praxis of Christian contemplation and Christian theology
- Leonard Cohen: Worker-in-song in and between spiritual traditions
The call for short papers (now closed) can be viewed here.