Changes to Copyright Law for Playing Sound Recordings in Churches

If  members of your church congregation play recorded music during any activities on church premises, or during direct activities of the church in the local community (church fêtes, outreach events etc.) you now require a PPL Church Licence.  The guidance for churches can be found at

Read more in Library News. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Changes to Copyright Law for Playing Sound Recordings in Churches

  1. Kevin says:

    I have been looking into the mindfield that is church worship and the relation of copyright on songs. At present it is clear that many churches are failing in the copyright laws that govern performancers and writers of music/songs. I am at present puting together a youth chorus book (just lyrics not sheet music) for the church in the UK and finding it really diffecult to get the license right that I need to produce the book (never mind the linces rights for people that will sing it).

    I also came across this comment/law regarding performaces of church songs
    Robert Nieves, marketing administrator for BMI, “the Copyright Law makes provisions for the exemption of churches for ‘public performances of music in the course of religious services at a place of worship.'”

    Any sugestions?

Leave a Reply to Kevin Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *