- This event has passed.
Sarum Summer School: Divine Wisdom to Nourish the Human Spirit
Mon 6 August 2018, 2:00 pm to Sun 12 August 2018, 2:00 pm
Sarum College invites you to the 2018 Summer School, to meet with others in an ecumenical space for reflection and imaginative thinking, and to discover living wisdom through dialogue with each other.
Each of the working days of the conference will include high quality input designed to stimulate the reflective dialogue that will take place in groups and in informal conversation; and opportunities for participants to raise issues and share resources connected with the conference themes.
- Deepening reflection: what approaches nurture the growth of wisdom and theological and spiritual imagination?
- Engaging theologically: how can we develop theological dialogue that connects with contemporary issues, yet drinks deeply at the wells of tradition?
- Living ethics: How can we reach beyond rational debate and the search for the lowest common denominator, to nurture moral character and imagination that sustain ethical relationships with each other and the world we inhabit?
- Nurturing the human spirit: What patterns of spiritual practice from different traditions open us to the present moment, to transformative encounter with the divine other and to compassion?
- Social engagement: How can the wisdom we share and develop enable us to reconnect with the issues of our day and especially with those who live on the margins of our society?
Sarum College is located in the deeply historic setting of Salisbury Cathedral Close and in the ancient landscape of Wiltshire. The Summer School will include optional visits to the Cathedral and ancient spiritual sites, such as Old Sarum, Stonehenge and Avebury.
Worship Prayer and Contemplation
The Summer School will include opportunities for worship, prayer and contemplation, in the Cathedral, the College Chapel and other settings.